Wednesday, June 29, 2011

{DIY} July 4th Kid-friendly "Sparklers"

Last weekend I designed a fun and budget friendly July 4th celebration which I will be sharing with you in the next few days. In the meantime, I thought that I would share a DIY tutorial for some kid-friendly "sparklers" that I created for the celebration. Since my two youngest are still not quite ready to handle sparklers (or at least I am not ready for them to!) I thought that I would create something that would be fun and SAFE for them to have in hand during our July 4th festivities this year. These are what I came up with:  July 4th "Sparklers"!



Pretty cute, right? My kids were excited to run around, waving them in the air and the 4th isn't even here yet! These July 4th "Sparklers" are extremely easy to re-create and a handful can be made for less than $10! Here's what you need to get started:

Supplies:

- Wooden dial rods (1 for each sparkler that you want to create)
- Patriotic wire garland ( I purchased mine for $1.49 at my local craft store)
- Decorative ribbon of your choice
- Hot glue gun


Directions:

1. Glue one end of ribbon to one end of the dial rod. Wrap ribbon around the entire length of the rod and glue the finishing end in place. Cut off excess ribbon.


2. Cut 5 strips of wire garland, each measuring about 7 inches long. Hot glue one end of each piece of garland to the top portion of your rod, trying to space them around the rod evenly.


3. Play around with garland pieces to make them resemble a fiery sparkler. I twisted some of my pieces around my finger for a spiral effect. Next, pass the "sparklers" out, sit back, relax, and enjoy the 4th!

2 comments:

  1. These are really great. Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So simple and so festive. Thank you! I'll be making these four the kids goody buckets for our July 4th barbecue!!!

    ReplyDelete